Saturday, November 17, 2012

If you aren't chilly enough already...


... you might want to try this fall-ish dessert. 

I'll admit it.  Ice cream is NOT the first dessert I think of when fall rolls around.  But I DO love fried ice cream.  I want to order it every time I go to a Mexican Restaurant.  I realized recently that there was likely a way to make it myself, and set about doing a little research. Turns out, there are quite a few recipes out there, and I drew from a few for my version.



As I'm sure you're aware, fried ice cream is usually vanilla in nature, but I wanted to spice things up.  Literally.  I couldn't find a single pumpkin-y ice cream at our lame grocery store, but if you CAN, buy it and skip the first few steps.  If you, like me, frequent a lame grocery store, you can make your own pumpkin spice ice cream.

I encourage you to use a stand mixer, if at all possible.  How did I cook without one?

Another tip?  Use cupcake liners instead of parchment paper.  The ice cream gets incredibly soft as you scoop it out - especially when you make your own and mix in the pumpkin.  If you use cupcake liners, the ice cream won't spread and run together.

And, frankly, the real secret here is not to skimp on the freezing time.  I am one who almost always takes shortcuts when it comes to cooking and baking.  I hardly ever make something the day before, even when the recipe explicitly directs you to.  But these guys?  They have got to be HARD.

You will get messy.  It's inevitable.  And I'm not going to lie to you.  This is not the easiest dessert to make.  It is time consuming.  And some steps are a bit finicky.

But the end result?




Totally worth it.




*Be sure to check the right sidebar for all the fun parties I link to!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...