Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Guest With Some Strange Ingredients...


Well, it's been a while since we had a picnic post and I say "it's about time already!"  Are you prepared for a delicious summer salad?  Bree from My Crafty Crap is here to guest post.  If you haven't seen her blog, you've got to stop by.  She's got some sewing genius going on over there and I love to see her projects.  Today, she's sharing some food though, so take a look!

Hello there! Bree here, from My Crafty Crap. Hopefully by the time you're reading this, I'll be at home snuggling with my brand new little boy!
I was really excited when Kimberly asked me to be a part of this great Life's a Picnic series, but had no idea at first what to share. You see, unfortunately, hubby & I don't get out for picnics very often (ummm...or ever!) and I honestly don't have many memories of picnics as a kid. But then, as we were getting ready for a friend's BBQ, I realized it was really just a different kind of picnic, one where neither the kitchen nor bathroom are far away. Now that's my kind of picnic! :)
Kimberly has already shared all kinds of great burgers with you, so I'm going to share my favorite quick & easy side. Around our house it's known simply as The Apple Salad, and is one of hubby's favorite recipes I just had to get from his mom.
I'll warn you, you'll probably think I'm crazy when you see the ingredients, but trust me, it's delicious. You've got to try it at least once. I made it recently when we had a bunch of people over & had people arguing with me about what the ingredients must be. The only person who believed me was my sister, and that was only because she helped make it! She said that otherwise she wouldn't have guessed what's in it either.
The great thing about this recipe is it's super easy to adjust for as many people as you need. Hubby & I can easily polish this off with one meal, but that's more because it's one of those things that's just easy to eat more than you should. As far as making it for a group, I always figure three people per recipe.

The Apple Salad
You will need:
1 red delicious apple
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup mayonnaise (give or take, depending on the size of your fruit)
1 tbsp white sugar
1 handful mini marshmallows
IMGP0367
First cut up your apple into small pieces, about 1/4" square or so. I don't bother to peel the apple, just wash & chop.
IMGP0368
Slice up your banana.
IMGP0369
Then cut each slice into quarters. Your apple & banana pieces should be about the same size.
Throw in a handful of mini marshmallows. Yes, I use exact measurements like this. :)
IMGP0370
Stir in your mayo & sugar. You may want a little more or less, depending on how big your apple was. Basically you want everything to be coated, but not drenched.
IMGP0371

And you're done! Personally, I think this is best if you make it & let it chill in the fridge for a few hours (I prefer overnight) before serving. It'll still be good if you eat it right away, but will still kind of taste like mayo. If you let it all sit & marinate in the fridge for a few hours, you'll never be able to guess that it's made with mayo, plus the marshmallows kind of break down & it's just so much better! Like I said, friends & family were arguing with me about what other spices were in it.
It's really easy to make this for as many or few people as you want. I figure one apple, banana, & handful of marshmallows per every three or so people, then add enough mayo to coat it all, and your tablespoon of sugar per each apple/banana/marshmallow handful. Easy-peasy!
I hope you'll give it a try sometime!

Thanks again, Kimberly, for having me here today!

I have to admit, the marshmallows make me skeptical, but I am totally trying this out!  The ease and (non)effort alone make it worth a trial run!  Thanks for sharing, Bree!


*Be sure to check just below for all the fun parties I link to!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...