Monday, October 24, 2011

Another pumpkin NONpie dessert.


Would you like another pumpkin dessert recipe that is NOT pie?  I thought you might!  For tonight's yummy Monday, I'm giving you this delicious and super easy Pumpkin Bars recipe.  I say "I'm" giving it to you because I'm the one posting it, but to set the record completely straight, Paula Deen gave it to me.  And when I say "gave it to me" I mean "put it on the internet" - so really, she gave it to all of us.  I have yet to go wrong with Paula - unlike some OTHER famous shmamous cook types, so I don't feel ill nudging you in her direction.  It's ok to be friends.  Especially when that friendship yields this:


Now, of course this friendship comes with a lot of calories, sugar and some fat.  Paula loves her fat.  BUT, really, in some instances, it's worth it.


Pumpkin Bars

  • 4 eggs
  • 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 15-ounce can pumpkin
  • 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

Icing:

  • 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy. Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth. Spread the batter into a greased 13 by 10-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting. Cut into bars.  To make the icing: Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined. Stir in the vanilla and mix again. Spread on cooled pumpkin bars.

This is easier than the other recipe and requires less ingredients.  I like the other one better, I think, but honestly, they are really two different types of desserts, so it depends on what mood you're in, I guess.



My pumpkin bars really turned out a lot more like a pumpkin CAKE.  So I think next time I'll put mine in a bar pan, not a 9x13.  Or, I'll just leave it in the 9x13 and call it a cake instead of bars.  Whatever.


mr complimented me on it.  That's news, guys.


You see?  Liking pumpkin pie really is optional.  It's not blasphemous at all to say you hate it.
There are perfectly acceptable alternatives.




*Be sure to check just below for all the fun parties I link to!

3 comments:

Maggie Lamarre said...

this looks so yummo,Would luv for my readers to see this awesome idea, will you please join our weekly party at
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-showcase-tutorial-with.html
have a great crafting weekend!
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

Lindsay said...

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I featured this today from the Show & Share party--

http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/11/show-share-13-features.html

Whit said...

Thank you for linking up to our party, Show and Share #13, come back this week!

A mommy's life... with a touch of yellow
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...