Friday, August 27, 2010

What Should Have Been My First Post EVER

this is me.  


Ahem.  It is my 1/2 year blogiversary.  I’ve noticed that some blogs have a big celebration around this milestone, but I’m not quite ready for that.  I’m taking things slow with this here blogging gig...  BUT, I have been thinking more about all of those things I talked about a few weeks ago - you know, how I first approached blogging as if I was writing a college English Seminar paper and how I haven’t considered my audience.  And I thought, when better to really introduce myself than on my blogiversary?  To be honest, my blogiversary is tomorrow, but this coincides nicely with new friend friday.
I’ve mentioned elsewhere that I’ve read among the vast amounts of information out there in blogland that if you want to get to know somebody, you should read their first post.  I beg you not to read mine.  It’s a bit of prose I’m not ashamed of, per se, but it tells you nothing about my blog or myself.  I’ll admit it, plainly, when I started this I had no idea what I was doing.
I still have no idea what I am doing.  Not really.  But I can fake it much better as time goes on.  And if you’ve read my “me, myself and i” page, you’ll understand that I’ve learned to fake it with the best of them.  
Over time, however, I have come to a better understanding - maybe not of WHAT I’m doing - but at least WHY I’m doing it.  I believe the main reason I wrote with no audience in mind for such a long time was because I really wasn’t expecting an audience.  But as I near 100 followers, I can’t really deny it anymore, there you are!  And I have to say, I’m kind of psyched about it.  See, I’ve always enjoyed writing (when I was in second grade my teacher told me I had a “gift” and I think that went to my head.) and I’ve always enjoyed creating - whether I was creating a character in a play, painting a set, creating a paper or story, or crafting.  When I graduated and got married, life was blissful, as most newlywed lives are, but in the long run I couldn’t deny that I felt something was missing.  I don’t just enjoy creating art.  I NEED to create.  
I started reading crafty blogs for inspiration with a nudge from my sister.  I fell in love.  Or maybe I fell in obsessively, crazy addiction.  Whatever.  And from the moment I read my first MADE post, I was itching to jump back into the creative saddle.  So I did.  
After a short while, I realized I needed motivation, and I knew that starting a blog would fulfill two very important roles.  First, it would allow me to write, which is my first great creative love - I hope you can see that from my posts, especially these.  Secondly, it would hold me accountable.  If someone, even if it was just my mom, was going to check in on me, I’d better not disappoint.  That means, all those projects I put off, or half finish, or scream at because they aren’t going well, I HAVE to tackle, at some point.  It’s good to have some prodding.
And, let’s admit it - since I’m laying all my cards on the table - there are other reasons to blog as well.  Their names are bugaboo and mini (and sometimes mr, too).  Don’t we all need an escape?  The transition from working full time to being a SAHM wasn’t an easy one for me - and although I know for a surety that there is NO place I would rather be than with my children, and no PERSON I would rather have watching my children - sometimes it’s just plain difficult.  Sometimes I miss adult interaction.  Sometimes I miss days without tantrums.  Sometimes I miss having a teeny bit of me time.  It’s selfish, I know, but blogging helps with all of that.
And, ok, we all know my favorite part of school was show and tell.

Thanks for reading this stuff.  I'm surprised, in a good way.  And grateful.

me being grateful.
(If you're interested, you can gather other tidbits about me from reading the me, myself and i page, or glancing over on the sidebar, or reading my thoughts on Things My Two Year Old Taught Me.  Or just by hanging out for a while.  It’s inevitable.  Soon you’ll know more than you ever wanted to...)

Please consider this my first post.  6 months late.  I’ve never been punctual.
me being... me.





Photobucket

New Friend Fridays

8 comments:

Mandy England said...

Happy blogiversary!! And no one's first post is more ridiculous than my own! It takes us all a while to catch on ;]

Sassy Sites! said...

Thanks for being a part of our first ever Sassy Friday Party! It is so fun to see everyone's amazing blogs! Have a wonderful weekend and.... DON'T FORGET to sign up for the giveaway if you haven't signed up yet! xoxo

Marni @ Sassy Sites!

Ashley Sisk said...

Well...better late than never friend! Happy Blogiversary!

alisamm said...

Yep, you are a writer first and foremost. Love your blog, especially your "Things my two year old taught me" posts, with a ton of bloggy love. And thanks for helping with mine.

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Oh my gosh, I don't even know (or think I want to know) what was in my first post. It was so long ago! You have done so well with your blog in such a short time, congrats!

Katie Sexton said...

Hi there, I am a new follower and I would love a follow back!!
http://www.mommykatie.com/

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

How funny- I just did a similar post. I found blogs by mistake. I didn't even know what I was looking at. But I feel more secure in my blog now. Most of the time. Happy six months! Cheers to many more years of bloggy fun!

Oh, My Darling said...

Happy blog milestone!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...