Wednesday, August 4, 2010

How to Stretch a Shirt - Project 8 (for the table)


Are you ready for the easiest “project” you have ever done?  I mean a forget-about-done-in-a-naptime-crafting-how-about-done-in-1/8-of-a-naptime-crafting EASY.  So easy I don’t think it’s considered either a project or a craft.  But we all know that’s where I excel.  
I originally got the inspiration for this idea, here, on Craftaholics Anonymous.  (I wish I could steal all of her ideas, but I just can’t sew like this lady can!)
So, we’re down to some itty bitty scraps 
and I still have three projects to show you (including this one) so now is when we have to get REALLY creative.  (and easy).  

You will need:
Scraps from your thrifted shirt cut up into different sized rectangles and squares
Other scraps that coordinate cut in the same fashion as filler
a vase (clear glass)
a smaller vase that will fit inside the vase and not poke out the top (any color)

First, put your little vase inside your big vase.  
You can see that they don’t have to be the same shape, just that one must fit inside the other comfortably.  These were vases I had on hand (leftover and forgotten in my parent’s basement since my wedding reception 4 years ago).
Now, take a butter knife (or some other thin, long object) and push scraps down into the little gap between the two vases.  (Now you know what the color of the inside vase doesn’t matter.)
Continue doing this all around the vase.
This is what it will look like when you are finished:
From the top and
from the side.

Now, you could leave it just like this.  Depending on what sizes you used, this could be very cute all on its own.  If it’s a large vase, and you stick it up on a shelf, no one would even know that there’s nothing inside.  OR you could even use a smaller vase for a candle - although if you’re going to actually light your candles and not just leave them around to look pretty and collect lots of dust like mine I’m not extolling the fire-safe properties of this vase.  Fabric is flammable.  Consider this my disclaimer.  Anyway...
I wanted to use these.
So, I made two more 
and filled the inner vases with water.
Then I plopped in about 5 bunches of little flowers per vase
and lined them up on the table.
see that OLD piano in the background?  I've got BIG PLANS for that piano...
And you've got a fun and funky, totally unique, completely customizable FABRIC SCRAP CENTERPIECE!

Told you it was easy.

Can I count it as a craft anyway?









Linked:

NightOwlCrafting
giveaways



Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!



4 comments:

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Very cute! I love the way it came out!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

How cute! WHo knew? Well, I guess you did. :)
Thanks for stopping by.

BJ_Mama said...

an 1/8 of a naptime??? Now That's EASY! hehe

Mandy England said...

What an adorable idea!! You're so creative :]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...