Tuesday, August 24, 2010

one out of four - not the best odds.

I am TIRED.  I have no good excuse (other than the fact that my children don’t sleep at night) (oh, and I’m addicted to blogland now, which isn’t good for my sleeping schedule).  Anyway, all of this wining is just to let you know why I didn’t post Monday Food Fest recipes on Monday.  
So, I’m not ecstatic about the most recent food fest.  I’m putting it up here anyway, mostly to warn you AGAINST making these items (except for ONE PARTICULAR ITEM, but we’ll get to that).  The main course was quick, easy and cheap, but it wasn’t SPECTACULAR.  And with those disclaimers out of the way, I’ll just give you the menu and lowdown.
It was dad’s turn to pick dinner, and mine to pick dessert.  Dad chose down-home cheesy bacon chicken from Kraft Foods mag: food and family.  I picked these cute as a button donut muffins I saw on Smashed Peas and Carrots.  Then, dad charged me with finding sides to go with the chicken because he didn’t know what to pick.  So, I pulled brussels and mushroom salad out of my “to try”cookbook over at food.com and also decided to try this delicious looking treat - Strawberry Bruschetta - I found on the blog ValSoCal.  So that’s the list, here’s the details.
When dad picked this meal, I wasn’t thrilled.  He informed me I didn’t have to go overboard every single week and that not everything HAD to be gourmet.  So I relented.  Then I decided to make some rice to go with the chicken, because heaven forbid I DON’T make things ridiculously difficult on myself for once.
As stated, the chicken was a breeze to make.  I used Oscar Meyer microwaveable bacon, so I didn’t even have to worry about cooking that.  I used minute rice (cause I don’t want to get too crazy hard here) and to make it, I used half the amount of water it called for and then chicken broth for the rest of the liquid.  This gave the rice a subtle flavor and I was glad I did it because it was definitely better than just plain white rice.  It tasted all right and there was nothing wrong with it at all.  It just wasn’t my favorite dinner ever.
On to the brussels and mushroom salad.  No offense to anyone who makes this dish, created this dish, loves this dish or in any way is related to this dish.  But here is my honest opinion.  DON’T make this.  It is right up there with the worst things I’ve ever put in my mouth.  I’m wondering what in the world I did wrong, because I like brussels sprouts and mushroom and lemon AND the recipe got really good reviews.  But I took one bite and could not believe it was actually edible.  I couldn’t finish it.  I tried.  I took two more bites.  I almost cried, it was that bad.  mr said it wasn’t awful but (QUOTE): “it isn’t something I’d want to eat again.”  Parents, well, you know how they are.  “It’s not bad...”  oh, please.  So no, I won’t make it again, and you shouldn’t either.  Unless you like things that taste bad.  Which is just weird.
I’m pretty sure I baked my muffins too long.  And I think I mixed them to much.  They were a teeny bit “tough” in texture.  I pictured them being just a bit more moist, and was sad that they were kind of dense.  But the flavor was good, they were cute, and bug loved them.  He ate half of the batch himself.  Not kidding.  I let him because he actually ate his chicken, which is unheard of.  I made this chocolate sauce I found on food.com to drizzle over the muffins - it’s pretty much like a homemade hershey’s syrup, and I recommend it - and I was glad I made it.  I think it added a little extra.  If I make these again, I will bake them about 15 minutes instead of 20.

AND NOW, I’ve saved the best for last.  Amazingly, it wasn’t the dessert, this time.  Well, in all actuality, this really is a dessert, but I made it for a side.  Next time it’s served as dessert for sure.  Maybe it’s my love affair with cream cheese or anything remotely cheesecake-like, but I totally love the strawberry bruschetta.  YUM.  The only bad part was that I lost track of the bread while I was toasting it under the broiler so... they were a little charred.  But I didn’t even care, they tasted so good.  I buttered the tops of the slices and broiled for about 8 minutes or so.  Nice and crunchy on the outside!  So, out of anything on this menu, here is the one you should DEFINITELY not miss!


Now that I’ve had several more less than stellar dinners I’m beginning to think maybe it wasn’t Martha’s fault at all.  I’m second guessing my decision.  Should I take her back








NightOwlCrafting
CreativeShareWednesdays
giveaways









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow....you're like a chef!! this stuff looks amazing, gonna definately try the strawberry brushetta!

Brianna! said...

I love overly baked muffins....actually I prefer them slightly on the burnt side.
I like a little crunch to them:)
xoxo
bB

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...