Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I've got a weird stash.



Don't believe me?  OK.  Here:
do you have latex gloves in your stash?  Maybe it's not so weird...









Are you wondering what these are doing in my stash?  Well, so was my mom.  So I decided it was time to turn these into their intended purpose, with some help from bug, K, and mom.  And just what in the world can you make with rubber gloves?
splish splash, finger puppets in the bath
with bugaboo on Saturday night!
A rub dub, puppet show in the tub,
its got him feelin’ alright!
don't you want your kids to look this excited in the tub?
Bath-time is fun-time, right?  And what better way to play than with water proof finger puppets?
Ready to make some with your kids?  Just grab your rubber gloves!  (I originally purchased mine from the dollar store.  You know, in case you don’t have any lying under your sink that you’re willing to cut up.)  You’ll also need:
Scissors
some sharpies
Something to protect the table from those evil markers that really should have been banned from this house a long time ago - I used aluminum foil
*hot glue
*google eyes
*ribbon or yarn
*optional
Now, first, a confession:
I will admit to you that I knew from the start hot glue probably wasn’t the adhesive of choice for a water-based project.  However, I didn’t take the time to do any research and it seemed the easiest solution, so I went with it.  The result is that some of the google eyes fell off.  However, the glue held surprisingly well with all other features of the puppets.  Perhaps you know of a better glue?  E6000 maybe?  
Well, with that out of the way, I can show you what we did.
First, we cut the fingers off of the gloves.  
We drew on faces.  (making sure to draw on the smooth part of the glove.)
bumpy side versus smooth side

I figured bug’s and K’s would need a little touch up.

Then we added whatever struck our fancy:
some googly eyes on a few,
some ribbon pigtails,





and lots of other individual features.
freckles, pacifiers, tear drops, eyelashes...
When we were done making the people, we made sure the bottom edge was cut straight and not jagged,


then folded the bottom up just a little and put a dab of hot glue on each side to hold it up.



Done!

And then we played with them.
Fun in the bath is just as easy as that.




11 comments:

Unknown said...

Where do you come up with this stuff? Amazing!

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Another FUN idea! I bet the kiddos loved them! Thanks for linking up another GREAT idea to Thrilling Thursdays @ Paisley Passions :)

Jill said...

Wow! You're so smart! What a wonderful idea!!!

Michelle L. said...

These are soooo cute!

CK said...

Haha! These are SO cute~!

-CK

Ashley said...

Wow, so cute! You are so creative! My son loves gloves, he would think this was a very cool project!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

How fun and they came out so cute! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

FlyAwayHome said...

As a matter of fact, I DO have latex gloves in my stash....I had them to make a pair of "glamor" gloves where you sew a pretty cuff on them. This is a WAY cooler project to do with them... I may have to rethink those silly "glamor" gloves and make finger puppets! thanks for another really cute project.

Katie said...

Ohmigosh those are so darling...what fun! They're something to keep the kids occupied while you make them and they to keep them busy in the tub playing...excellent! So happy to see you at A Crafty Soiree! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing you next time too:)

creativejewishmom/Sara said...

Great project, love it! It would be great to see you at Craft Schooling Sunday, do drop by this week if you have a chance to join the party at the end, or on Sunday for the next party. Hope to see you there, we'd love to meet you!

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...

Dude, if I was a fun mom like you I would totally make these. Alas my kid plays with an old cup.... You motivate me to be a better mother!!!

thanks for linking up!

love your guts
mandi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...