Monday, October 1, 2012

Waldorf-y without the Bland.



How do you feel about Waldorf Salad?  I agree.  I'm torn, too.
I've heard  both sides of the coin.  It's refreshing and light.  flip.  It's much to creamy and bland.
If you find that you often land on the bland side, I'm right with you.  Many restaurants give Waldorf Salad a bad name, in my opinion.

That's why this salad isn't REALLY Waldorf Salad, it's Waldorf-esque.  You know, Waldorf-y without the bland.

At least, that's what I was going for when I combined ideas from three different recipes and added a touch or two of my own.
Did I succeed?  You decide:

We paired our Waldorf-esque Salad with the famous Garlic Burger from last summer.  Grilling season is quickly and unfortunately winding down.  I had mr fire up the grill for these instead of making them fast and easy on the stovetop as we usually do.  There's just nothing like a charcoal grilled burger.  Unless it's a gas grilled burger.

We went the more traditional route this time, with tomatoes, lettuce, ketchup and cheese, but the original burger recipe with roasted red peppers and avocado is phenomenal.

We also had zucchini fries again, which meant I HAD to make another batch of the Sweet Onion Sauce.  Such a chore, I know... but since my arm was twisted...

Good thing I like that sauce so much I could drink it for breakfast.  Mmmm.

Just so you know, this is categorized as an "Easy Yummy Monday" for the Waldorf Salad.  The Zucchini Fries, while delicious, wouldn't fall into that category.  They're pretty finicky.  And in order to put the burger in that category you'd have to make it on the stovetop.  But the SALAD people.  The SALAD.  That's easy enough, right?



*Be sure to check the right sidebar for all the fun parties I link to!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...