Friday, January 13, 2012

("Tales From the Crib" is my semi-regular Friday ritual - though I do occasionally miss one.  What's "Tales From the Crib"?  For that, look here.  Then look here.  "Things My Two Year Old Taught Me" morphed into "Tales From the Crib" early last year in order to include more children and more ages.  Considering the growth of my two bugs, I thought the change was appropriate.)  


Gift

She is at that stage in her life.
You know the one.  When every simple comment from another spawns the never ending sea of “why’s” and “what’s”.  When the mouth has finally made headway in the game of “catch-up” with the mind.  When every sounds, word, noise, image is a mountain of information to be sorted through with articulation.  When she must know the meaning of life, the universe and everything RIGHT NOW.
Some questions are simple.
“Mini, let’s put your coat on.”
“Why?”
“Because we’re leaving and it’s cold outside.”
“Why?”
“Because it’s winter and we live in Wisconsin.”
Sometimes I need to call in the big guns.
“Sorry, it won’t play music anymore.  The batteries are dead.”
“Why?”
“Because batteries don’t last forever.”
“Why?”
“Um.  Well.  Because there’s a limited amount of electricity inside of them.”
“Why?”
“Ok, we’ve got to ask your father about this.”
And sometimes, there are no good answers.
“No, mini, that’s an orange, not an apple.”
“Why?”
“Because it grew on an orange tree from an orange seed.”
“Why?”
Why????  Why????  I guess I’m stumped.
At times it seems she’s come up with a very good question.  Why DO phone batteries die so often?  Why CAN’T Elmo come over?  Why WON’T a good book go on forever?
Her voracity in seeking truth is second only to her brother. He’s advanced beyond simply “why?” now, but hasn’t lost on ounce of determined exploration into “how? what? when? where? and why?” for almost everything he comes across.
When did I?
Have I lost my ability to see wonder and amazement in everyday life?  Have I forgotten how to be curious and learn from probing for deeper answers?  Shouldn’t I be able to feel the excitement they feel in the most ordinary of events?
I’m beginning to think that instead of hurrying her continuous train of questions along the track, I should halt.  Perhaps ask why a bit more often myself.  Try to seek answers instead of just accepting “the way things are.”
Already she has discovered one important truth.
Life is a mystery wrapped in a riddle all twisted up with a big enigma bow.  

In other words, it's a gift.  A crazy, chaotic, surprising, scary, sad, happy, joyful gift.  One that you unwrap carefully, peeling back the paper one question at a time.





*Be sure to check the right sidebar for all the fun parties I link to!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...