Wednesday, April 30, 2014

You'll never believe it.


I crocheted.

Yup.  You read that right.  I crocheted.  

I bet you thought yarn was over with.  A thing of the past.  I couldn't help it.  I had to show you what I made for my sister's birthday.

Long ago, my mom taught me a single crochet stitch, so I could make a (very simple) afghan for a Christmas present.  I'm not sure how many times I asked for help, but it was a ridiculous amount and she pretty much did the whole thing for me - she started it out, chained the first row, finished it off, and blocked it since I didn't know how to do any of that.  What did I do?  Made unnecessary knots and asked for help, basically.

I was inspired to break out the old crochet hook during the 3 + weeks of Yarn it All! though.  
I made Lise the 

Which is the same kind of crochet necklace I'm sure you've seen before.  Basically you just chain a very very very long piece of yarn.  Just chain one on, again and again.  For like 20 feet.  (No, really, that's not an exaggeration).  

Then I did that again with a different color, but only did about 10-12 feet.  Then I wrapped them up and kind of twisted them as I laid them together (it took more time to figure out how best to do that than to crochet the darn thing. I undid it like 20 times.)  

Then I just wrapped yarn around the part where the ends came together.  I did use a little hot glue to secure the ends and the knot.

Essentially, I used Mandi's tutorial from year one of Yarn it All!  which you can find here.  So awesome.  As are all of her other crochet tutorials from that series, and now I want to make every one of them.

No, it's not perfect.  But still.  I crocheted something.  Feels pretty good.




*Be sure to check below for all the fun parties I link to!*

4 comments:

homemade@myplace said...

Congrats!!!!!
The colours used for this project are beautiful!!!!
Enjoy crocheting!
xxxxxx Ale

Michelle L. said...

Well, I think it's gorgeous! Beautiful color scheme and it looks so rich and chic!

Unknown said...

This is so adorable! Simple and elegant, the colors are perfect. Great job. I'd be thrilled if you'd link up at this week's Off the Hook!

Anonymous said...

love it, and I'm quite sure that with just a bit more confidence (you CAN crochet!) you'll be crocheting amazing things in no time. Start with some t-shirt yarn or some really chunky yarn which is much easier to work with. all the best, thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...