Monday, May 16, 2011

Hey, I'm going to whine some more, ok?


I think you have probably noticed that I can’t seem to keep up with myself lately.  It’s an interesting feeling:  being thrown into single-parentdom while the mr’s away - acknowledging everything you take for granted and feeling an awe and respect for those who seem to “do it all” all on their own - all while harboring a sense of guilt because, of course, you aren’t really a single parent, and perhaps it’s insulting to those who do work so hard to compare the two?  
In any case, I haven’t been myself.  Just thought I’d kick that huge elephant in the room - since I can’t very well pull a towel over it.  Though the towels are all clean now - that’s an accomplishment.  I promise to get back to my peppy self soon.  Am I peppy?  Well, in any case, I promise to get back into the groove.  I really, really do.  BUT, between the poop-fest in my family room on my brand new carpet (which is actually ok, thanks), the insatiable 18 month old ripping my cupboards apart and eating everything in sight (yes, things that are NOT edible included) and the terrific experience of discovering that bug locked us all out of his bedroom during quiet time - not to mention the fact that the only person who has ever successfully unlocked any of our interior doors is a bazillion miles away right now... well, I don’t think I can muster up much wit and banter for this awesome food fest.  I do believe it’s really OK since the main course and the dessert were both repeats from over a year ago, the drink was a repeat from here, and the dressing for the salad was a botched attempt at our favorite - which you’ve probably heard enough about anyway... I do realize this is annoyingly whiny and perhaps you don’t read Yummy Monday for my wit and cleverness anyway.  In which case I’ll just skip right to the chase now and post the recipes.  Oh, and I’ll also take this moment to thank heaven for baby wipes, clorox wipes, moms in general and dads who are handy with bobby pins.  
Here you go.
Chicken Puffs 
8 oz Cream cheese
1/4 C. softened butter
1/8 tsp pepper
2 C. cooked chicken
2 pkgs crescent rolls
A bit of melted butter and crushed chicken stuffing mix (or shake n bake or seasoning/breading of choice), combined
Mix cream cheese, softened butter, and pepper well. Fold in chicken. Press each crescent roll flat. Wrap each roll around some chicken mixture. Dip in melted butter and seasoning. Bake @ 325 for 30 min.
Gravy
2 TBL Butter
2 TBL flour
2c Cream
1 tsp chicken bullion powder
Melt butter.  Add flour, mix well.  Stir in cream and bullion.  Boil 1 min.  
Serve puffs with hot sauce over the top.


Cilantro Ranch Dressing (the right way)
1 packet TRADITIONAL Hidden Valley Ranch mix (not BUTTERMILK)
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. buttermilk
2 tomatillos, remove husk, diced
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro
1 clove garlic
juice of 1 lime
1 jalepeno (we like it SPICY so we kept the seeds in it, if you like it mild, just remove the seeds)

Mix all ingredients together in the blender. 

Brazilian Lemonade
2 limes
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
3 cups water
ice

Wash limes thoroughly. Cut off the ends and slice into eight wedges. Place limes in a blender with the sugar, sweetened condensed milk, water, and ice.
Blend in an electric blender, pulsing 5 times. Strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove rinds. Serve over ice.

Red Velvet Cookies
1 (8 ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup butter, room temperature (1 stick)
egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 (18 ounce) box red velvet cake mix

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth.  Beat in the egg.  Beat in the vanilla extract.  Beat in the cake mix.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls.  After batter has chilled and you're ready to make the cookies, preheat the oven to 350°F.  Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.  Bake 12 minutes. The cookies should remain soft and gooey.  Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar, if desired.





I may be whiny, but I know how to feed 'em!





*Be sure to check just below for all the fun parties I link to!

4 comments:

Connie the crafterbug said...

Yummo! This looks so fabulous! I have never made anything on here,except for salad of course. I really want to try these recipes. Thank you for sharing.
Connie

Connie the crafterbug said...

By the way my 4 year old locked us out of the house today,it happens to the best of us. Good luck.
Connie

Bree said...

Whine all you want, we all need to sometime! I hope Mr. won't be gone much longer (sorry if you've said how long, preggo brain is like a sieve) & everything will be back to normal before you know it. Just hang in there & take care!

Joi Montrief said...

So many good recipes...so little time! I want to make them all! I would love it if you could stop by Heck Fridays today(Thursday) and post it on our first link party!

http://www.heckfridays.blogspot.com

Hope to see you soon!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...