Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year, New Food Fests...

Well, it’s about time things got back to normal around here, don’t you think?  I love Christmas so much, I usually feel like leaving the tree up til March.  (I’ve never really made it that long...) (Or HAVE I?!)  But honestly, THIS year, the only thing keeping it up still is my stress-induced post-holiday laziness and my fear that our living room will seem tiny without it.
However, I WOULD like to get back into the normal groove of things here on my blog, as soon as possible.  You know what that means for Monday nights!  Monday Food Fest!
To anyone who is unaware:
Monday Food Fest started as a silly little term in a foodie post that I used to describe the insanity and hilarity we enjoy every Monday when I whip up dinner for my parents (and us, of course).  And somehow it stuck.  I really should have come up with something better originally, but ce’st la vie.  Throughout 2010 I spent my monday afternoons and evenings tackling (at least) three new recipes each week.  Then I made my family act as guinea pigs and we all reviewed the dishes so I could blog about them and give you the DL.  This made for some horrendous failures (thanks a lot, Martha), some really scary moments, some nearly inedible dinners, a break-up, and - fortunately - some really awesome food overall.  The best part of the entire experience was how much I learned.  For instance, I can cook.  Yep.  Learned that this year.  I also learned what mise en place means.  And how to create a roux in order to obtain a base for creamy sauces.  Seriously, people.  I did.  Don’t I sound smart, too??  
But enough with the modesty.  I really hope you’ve discovered some awesome recipes right along with me.
I enjoyed my food fests, and have no intention of stopping.  However, I did decide to switch things up a little.  No more scrambling around online to find something delicious-looking on Monday morning 10 minutes before leaving to grocery shop for the week.  For a variety of reasons (not the least of which is a more aggressive approach to being fiscally responsible on mine and mr’s parts) I am planning on planning.  
No, really.  I am.
And to help me with this, I’ve decided to stick with one little old cookbook.  If this feels reminiscent of Julie and Julia right now, believe me, I’ve stressed about the whole copycat issue and I’ve made peace with it.
The cookbook I’ll be using is a compilation of favorites among the folks I attend church with and was a fundraiser put together by a seventeen-year-old boy for his Eagle Scout project.  There may (or may not) be a way for you to purchase this cookbook still, I’ll let you know.  I’ll be sharing my favorite recipes in full, though.  While I had tons of fun going all insane trying new techniques and mastering difficult dishes, I’m hoping to find some meals I can actually incorporate into our regular menu this year.  
Hope you’re looking forward to it as much as I am!
(Tune in tomorrow when I fill you in on tonight’s dinner: Chicken and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole.  Which was, I have to say, ridiculously stellar.)





4 comments:

Jill said...

That looks delish! I'm making something kinda similar this week - I LOVE anything with black beans!!!

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals said...

You make me possibly want to cook. Possibly.

love yoru guts
mandi

Ashley said...

Yum! I love the idea of working through a cookbook.

Sassy Sites! said...

YUMMO!!! We are big time Mexican food lovers at our house, so my family would be very happy if I made this one for them!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...