2. Cut a piece of lace to fit easily on the sheet. Note: the ideal lace will be about as wide as the tube is long, have an interesting design without being too fine or delicately detailed and NOT be curved - like mine is. Ces la vie, right?
3. Pour some normal craft paint in your choice of color right over the lace.
4. Spread the paint out over the lace with a foam brush. Really get into those details.
Here's where it gets fun.
11. Use a scissors to cut slits in the tube,
12. starting at one edge and stopping about 1/2 an inch from the other edge.
13. Begin on one end of the tube and alternate which side you cut in from so the slits are not all on one side of the tube.
14. This will flatten the tube. So take the tube in your palm and squish it back into a circular shape again.
15. Gently pull on the ends of the tube to separate the slits and unfold them into circles. You will need to really bend the circles together where they are attached to get them to open up all the way.
16. Pinch the top, middle part of the circles together and down into the circle to make the top of the heart.
17. Pinch the bottom middle of the circles together and down to form the bottom of the heart.
18. Look! A chain of hearts!
As you can see, the little helper was pretty fascinated that it was so easy to create hearts from toilet paper tubes...
20. Tie a knot in the end of the ribbon that's inside the heart.
21. Tie a bow in the end of the ribbon that's OUTSIDE the heart.
22. Do this with the heart on each end of the garland.
You may wonder, as I did, why you would bother to stamp the tubes at all if you're just slicing them up. Below you can see that some of the details are still noticeable after cutting.
Now, how noticeable the patterns are will depend on how much space you leave between slits - or how wide you make each heart. The wider you make them, the less hearts you will get out of each tube. I also discovered that the really wide ones didn't keep their pinched shape as well as the slightly smaller ones.
I like the somewhat distressed look.