Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Again with the Asian Salad.



Sorry about the missing Yummy Monday post yesterday... I came downstairs from putting bug to bed and found that mr had commandeered the computer.  Jerk!  Just kidding.  I figured that since I have a general monopoly on kidless computer time I'd be nice and share.  This once.

Therefore, I have some recipes for you tonight!  I preface these recipes with the now familiar note: daylight savings time=crummy pictures.  Yes, some of you live in a region where you see the sun on a regular, year-long type basis.  Count yourself lucky.  Those of us in the frozen tundra feel like we're in a broken refrigerator... sometimes it freezes the food because the temperature is inconsistent and the bulb burnt out a long time ago.

Anyhoo...

Tonight is fried rice!  I do love asian food - authentic or not - actually, probably more unauthentic, really, because I don't know how authentic the Chinese food you can get around here really is... in any case, I have a few Asian inspired dishes I like to use, but I'd never tried fried rice.

For some reason I can't locate the original recipe I used - online or in my kitchen.  BUT, it was a lot like this one on cooks.com.  The only difference was how the eggs were added, but obviously that won't affect the taste.  I do wish I'd had more veggies in mine.

I also think you need a big old wok to really get it right.  My big pot just didn't really cut it.

I served the Asian Salad from here.  I know I've featured this salad a number of times, but I can't help it.  It's so good.  It's different from the other very similar Oriental Salad with a lot of the same ingredients because you toast the almonds, ramen, and sesame seeds before hand and the sauce you use is brought to a boil, not just vigorously stirred.  Anyway, it's definitely a family favorite here.

Asian Salad
2 packages of ramen noodles, crushed
1 C slivered almonds
2 tsp sesame seeds
1/4 C butter
1 large napa cabbage, shredded
1 bunch of green onions, sliced (I only used HALF)
3/4 C veggie oil
1/4 C white vinegar
1/2 C sugar
2 T soy sauce
Melt butter in a medium skillet on medium heat.  Add the ramen noodles, almonds, and sesame seeds.  Cook, stirring often, until golden brown.  Remove from heat.  Cool.  In a small saucepan, bring oil, sugar and vinegar to a boil for one minute.  Cool.  Stir in the soy sauce.  In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onions, noodles and soy sauce mixture.  Toss well.  It is best served at room temperature.


That salad really was the star of the night.  Again. 

For dessert, I made "Mystery Cookies."

Wondering what in the world mystery cookies are?  Well, this is a pretty timely post, since you all have gads of leftover Halloween candy lying around, right?  Here's the deal.  You take this idea (orea stuffed chocolate chip cookies.  So good.) and just go hog wild.

How about a Brownie Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie?

Or, a Chocolate Chip Cookie Wrapped Peanut Butter Cups?

Or, my personal favorite, Snicker NOT doodles... or Snickerchip Cookies.

Mmmmm.  Just imagine the possibilities.

Once you pile them all on a plate, you won't be able to tell them apart.  Hence, the mystery.

I wish I could give you the chocolate chip cookie recipe.  But I think it's a mom secret.  She might take me to court.  I'll see if I can sneak it on here sometime, though.



*Be sure to check just below for all the fun parties I link to!

1 comment:

kellystar said...

I hear you on the lack of sun---I bet I took 50 pictures yesterday of a card I was trying to get ready for Scrapstreet and they all looked crummy. I finally stood on my front porch with the rain misting me and the card and managed to get one semi-decent one before my card blew away into a puddle. Are you getting snow? Looks like we may get an inch or so tomorrow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...