Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Talking turkey.

I know Thanksgiving is done and gone, but as with Halloween, I didn’t get all the turkey posted beforehand.  I blinked and the holiday was over.  So, here’s a belated little Thanksgiving craft you can put on your list for next year!
First, let’s give proper credit.  I saw this cute little hair clip made by  highlighted from a linky party and was inspired.
Next off, let’s just clear something up right now.  For the next, oh I don’t know, 5 months or so all of my pictures will be horrible.  Awful.  I’m not going to apologize for them every post, because that would just get old and tiresome.  But I WILL cringe every time I see a super subpar photo on here, and rest assured I will also be cringing at the lack of natural light.  I’m pretty sure the sun will never shine here again.  But then, I feel that way every winter.
OK, and finally, please disregard the black paint all over my hands.  I was working on a lot of things at once...
Without further ado, a super duper easy, kid-friendly, gobble-filled, itty bitty puppet.
And here is what you need to make this little turkey:
Ribbon of various colors (and widths)
orange rick-rack
Small hair elastics
buttons
hot glue
First, you’ll make your turkey body by looping a tan or brown ribbon around and hot gluing the ends.  Make it as tall as you’d like to fit little or large hands.
Now, cut the tail feathers to the right length by measuring them against the body.
When they are all cut, you can loop them around and hot glue the ends together.
Then hot glue them in place behind the body, fanning them out and gluing them to the body and each other.
With my extra wide ribbons, I layered a smaller ribbon over it.
When your tail feathers are on, glue the elastic to the lower back of the turkey, where the ends of the elastic meet.
Then take a bit of ribbon that matches the body of the turkey, glue one end to the bottom of the turkey and wrap it around the bottom of the turkey, 

sticking it through the elastic and gluing it down - sandwiching the elastic between.
Now, fold your rick-rack in half and cut a bit off, just under where it bumps out.
Keeping it folded, dab a bit of hot glue right in the middle.  This is the beak.
Take some red ribbon (I used super skinny) and loop it in half.  Glue it into the beak, dangling down (like the wattle).
Spread the sides at the back of the beak and dab hot glue.  Attach it to the turkey body up towards the top.
Glue the black buttons above the beak for eyes.
And you’re done!
Colorful and simple!
And super fun.
These turkeys are really putting on a show.
And the cool thing is they can double as napkin rings!
And they can triple as party favors for the little turkey day guests!











   Its Hump Day!




Texas Monkey




Keeping It SimpleSumo Sweet StuffThe Girl Creative



mmm buttonPhotobucket



Show and Tell Green
A Crafty Soiree


PonyTails and FishScales









giveaways












Creations by Kara


Photobucket

 










7 comments:

Heather Jones said...

Ha Ha! That is cute! Looks easy with the ribbon. My son would love that. Especially if he could put it on his fingers.

Following back from the Hump Day Blog Hop!


Heather From and Mommy Only Has Two Hands! and Lynhea Designs

Unknown said...

Hi, I am following you from the wandering Wednesday blog hop. I hope you have a wonderful day!

http://caseysgoodlife.com

(Single)Mommy said...

What a cute idea! I'm a new follower from the hump day bloghop I'd love a follow back :)

Tania @ http://myadventures-in-mommyland.blogspot.com/

Lori/Mommy B said...

very cute!! stopping by from The Adventures of Mommy B

Lara Neves said...

These are super cute! I will have to remember abotu them for next year...my girls would love making them!

Sofia's Ideas said...

What an incredibly cute blog you have - so glad I found you!
I'm now following you through the Wednesday It's Hump Day Blog Hop! I hope you'll do the same! You can find me @ http://sofiasideas.com/

Sofia's Ideas

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

These are too cute

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...