Monday, May 3, 2010

I made a cake anyway.

Yesterday was mini’s blessing day at church!  I was pretty excited for it.  We had waited on purpose so mr’s family could come, so I was eagerly awaiting the day.  I had been determined to make her blessing day outfit - something I hadn’t even considered with bug since I wasn’t really sewing at that time - but considering how making special occasion clothing has gone for me in the past, I was pretty intimidated by the idea.  So, I procrastinated until I couldn’t anymore and then there was no time left.  So my mom bought her a gorgeous white dress, not too frilly, and made her the prettiest white shoes and I made her little bloomers and a pretty little flower for her head band.(Stay tuned for pictures).  I bought a bunch of food for a late lunch for all the family members and even remembered to get paper plates and such so I wouldn’t have to do a ton of dishes.
And then we didn’t use any of it.
Early in the morning as we were all getting ready, bug proceeded to throw up all over our bed.  That put the kibosh on the day’s festivities.
We called around, canceling our plans and bunkered down for what was shaping up to be a very long day.  It was kind of a blessing in disguise, though, because mr had woken up with a sore throat and when mini got up, she was totally stuffed up with a runny nose and a hoarse little cry - I cringed when I heard it because I just knew her throat was hurting her and there was little I could do.  
Since I was the only healthy one in the house, I spent the day rocking kids, putting kids to bed, cleaning up various disgusting expelled and or dripping fluids and generally being tired.  I took a break from the above while the others were napping to cut up all the fruit and veggies I’d gotten for the day and whip up this pretty little number.  


I didn’t want all the food I had bought to go bad.  I planned on taking it all over to my sister’s house (where Sunday family dinner was now going to take place, because it was my brother IL’s birthday too).  
It’s an old favorite I found in the Kraft magazine last summer.  You can find it here - called Layered Strawberry Cheesecake Bowl.”  I call it Trifle, because I think it’s a lot like trifle, although I’ve never actually had trifle, so I could be way off - but saying “Trifle” is a lot easier than saying “Layered Strawberry Cheesecake Bowl”  every time you make the dessert or talk about it.  I’ve made it for family get-togethers before and everyone loves it - my brother repeatedly requests it and even had my sister IL get the recipe so she could make it for his birthday instead of cake.  It’s scrumptious and easy - one of those things that always impresses people and you can take credit for a lot more than you actually did.  We know how much I love those...
Yesterday I realized that I had forgotten to buy the frozen pound cake the recipe calls for.  So I quick went online to recipeezaar and discovered this recipe for Cream Cheese Pound Cake and found I had all the ingredients to do it myself.  So I did.
I think I’m going to do it this way from now on, because I think my pound cake is tastier than Sara Lee’s (Sorry, Sara) and it’s cheaper since I usually have all the ingredients on hand anyway.  Her pound cake costs like 5 bucks or something (which is like buying that instead of chicken, or something).  This greatly reduces the ease of the overall recipe, but I think it’s worth it.  
I followed the cream cheese pound cake recipe exactly except I didn’t realize it called for a tube pan (which I don’t have) so I baked it in two bread pans and it worked just perfectly.
When it was done I cut one of the cakes up into pieces and made the Kraft recipe.  Yum!  Just a little something something you can try with all those summertime strawberries you have lying around now that it’s finally getting warm out!

Oh, and by the way, when I was finished, I decided to keep it.  But I did take the veggies and fruit to my sister's to share with everyone.  I'm not totally selfish.




6 Inches of Ribbon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, this looks so yummy! thanks for linking up with 6 Inches of Ribbon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...