Sunday, September 1, 2013

Souper Sunday!


This will shock you.  Sometimes, for my "homemade meals," I cheat.

Yep.  I cheat.  And you know what?  They're still better than the super cheat-y buy it in a can/box meals.  Usually.

So, you may already have a cheater version of chicken noodle soup, and if you do, awesome.  But if you don't, you really should - since this is the perfect go to "get better soon" soup.  You need a gift for that friend who's suddenly come down with a super cold?  (Really any dinner would do, because that friend just doesn't want to cook, trust me.  But soup's good for colds, right?)

SO.  Here it is.  My super easy cheater version that's better than canned.

Basically, I use what I have.  With a few exceptions, since I usually don't have fresh parsley laying around the house.


And I have to say, the parsley is pretty much the most important part.

The printable recipe card is below, but just a few notes on variations:
I like to use leftover rotisserie chicken - like the 5 buck chicken you get at the deli section at the grocery store?  I just save what's left, and then I don't even have to cook the chicken.  BUT, if you don't have that option, for whatever reason, you can easily use frozen chicken tenderloins or breasts.  Just stick them in a pot with some water and extra broth over medium-high heat, put a lid over it and boil them till cooked.  It will be nice and soft and shreddable.  NEXT, Bavarian seasoning.  I get Bavarian seasoning at Penzey's Spices.  I love Penzey's.  It's delish.  BUT if you don't have it or can't find it, it won't kill the soup.  Just use a little garlic salt instead of regular salt and a bit of basil (along with the parsley).  I usually use flat egg noodles.  BUT you can also use just about any pasta you want - cavatappi works really well.  Oh, also.  I hate celery.  HATE.  And so does mr.  So I use peas instead.  Maybe weird, but that's that.


 Now let's talk about how to give this as a gift.


Easy as pie to make it cute.
1. You've got your soup - put it in a jar.  You've got your label, some crackers and a spoon.  Side note - do you know how hard it is to find wooden spoons around here?  I got some spoons for super cheap at Walmart and decided to use that instead.
2. Put your crackers in a cute little favor bag.  Fold the top down and tape it.
3. Add some washi tape to the lid.  Punch two holes in the top of the favor bag and wrap some twine around the lid of the jar.  Stick the ends of the twine through the bag and around the jar, twice, and tie a double knot to secure it.   Put the spoon over the knit and tie a bow.
4. Slap your note on top with double sided tape.

Done!


Yum!



No food tomorrow, but something else fun!  



*Be sure to check the right sidebar for all the fun parties I link to!

1 comment:

Jillian @ Hi! It's Jilly said...

What fun! I like the idea of putting it in a little jar with crackers and a spoon. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...