NOW. This is when I tell you that this tutorial within a three-part tutorial is actually a three-part tutorial in itself. I told you this was an insane craft. I'm going to show you three ways to make yourself a chalk/cork board.
Once everything is dry, we'll get out the foam board. Lay your bad thrift store art's frame face down. Place a piece of foam board in the frame, matching up one corner.
Mark where the frame ends on the other corners. If you're
Then, use the box cutter to cut the foam board to the size of the frame.
Now, lay your foam board pieces on top of your sheet of cork. Cut roughly around the foam board - it doesn't have to be perfect.
(You will please excuse the state of the foam board on the right. It had an accident.)
Flip the pieces of cork over and spray the back down with spray adhesive. Wait a bit to make it tacky.
Place the foam board on the cork. Press firmly down all over.
See how the cork kind of hangs over the edge of the foam board? Trim it down.
Now, all you have to do is pop the chalkboard-paint-covered-cork-covered foam board into your thrift store frames - which you have already spray painted to a beautiful shade. Secure the foam board into place either a) with the hardware stuff on the back of the frame or, b) with staples if all of the hardware suddenly goes missing as mine did.
Get your chalkboard-paint-covered cork tile and lay it on your foam board. Trace around it (since you've finally found the pencil...)
Using a ruler, draw a larger square around the one you traced. Cut the squares out with your box cutter.
Pop out the middle square and clean up any rough spots.
Place your cork tile in the middle of the foam board frame. It should fit tightly enough that you do not need anything to hold it in place, but if you DO need something, you can glue strips from the foam board over the back.
I used an old jenga game I got at the thrift store to make the frame. I like that the wood tiles were used-looking. Start in the corner of your foam board and use your Gorilla Glue to glue down one or two tiles. Then glue another along the other edge, going perpendicular to what you just set down. The pieces should be movable for a bit, so you have some time to make sure that they are overlapping the edges of the foam board evenly.
Continue gluing down pieces, putting glue on the bottom and sides of the pieces and fitting them snugly together.
When you're almost done, you'll probably run out of jenga pieces, so you'll have to raid the family jenga game for about 6 tiles or so. It's alright. It's not like anyone plays it anyway... that's why it was at the thrift store...
Then all you have to do is spray paint it - your choice. "Lagoon" in my case. Make sure you tape paper over the chalkboard part before you spray paint the frame.
If you've got some pre-made bulletin boards, this is, of course, the easiest route. After painting the cork with chalkboard paint and letting it dry, cover it with paper and use painter's tape to seal the edges. Then spray the frames. Voila! Beautiful!
When you peel up the painter's tape from the bulletin board, you will likely have a few spots of chalkboard paint come up with the tape. Just use a small paintbrush to do some touch ups.
So, let's do a quick breakdown, shall we? We need four large bulletin boards and four small bulletin boards for our gallery wall. That would be about $100 just in bulletin boards. The whole project could run about $150 or so! Even the awesome side of me balks at that.
2 large bulletin boards - FREE (one I got a long time ago and the other I found on the curb)
2 bad arts - $2 each, so $4
4 pack of cork tiles - FREE (found in my mom's stash - thanks mom!)
2 cans of spray paint - $3 ish (the red I had already - I just bought the turquoise)
1 long sheet of cork - $8.20 ($12, but 40% off coupon)
foam board - 3 for something, I think it was $2 and something and I got 6 so we'll just say $6
1 Chalkboard Spray paint - about $3, but you could totally do without this.
Chalkboard paint, spray adhesive, painter's tape, Gorilla Glue, Jenga game pieces were all on hand - so FREE!
Total, I got about 150 dollars of project for around $24.20 ish.
AND they look awesome.
This pleases both my thrifty side AND my awesome side. That's the best kind of project.